Sunday 1 July 2012

Second day of Training


The second day was the day when Ishka who I was successfully matched with a few weeks ago was handed over to me. Before I was to meet Ishka, the other trainees and I were given a rundown of what to do on our first interaction with our chosen dog. We were told that there were to be no commands, just to be there and enjoy being with the dog. First, we had to make sure that our hotel room was dog proof by making sure that there was nothing on the floor or accessible to the dog ─ even the waste bin was moved to a safe place. I admit that I was slightly nervous while I was waiting, wondering how Ishka would react but when the GDMI came in with Ishka, it was to see her dash around the room sniffing at everything she could find. Ishka kept coming towards me and then moving away, eventually she decided to lie on her bed. I decided to sit down on the floor which proved to be a good move for she came over and sat near me and then laid alongside me. After a few minutes I decided that the time was right for me to make a fuss of her ─ it worked. After a short time on our own, the GDMI returned as it was time for the obedience training to start.

No comments:

Post a Comment