Wednesday 18 July 2012

Fourth Day


I went out with the instructor and one of her colleagues on my own this morning. Simon and Kevin and their dogs went earlier while I groomed Ishka in the lounge. The work this time involved ‘corrections’ and swapping the lead from the harness to my right hand while walking with Ishka. Sounds easy enough, doesn’t it ─ not to me, it wasn’t! For some reason I was finding it difficult to swap the lead from the handle on the harness to my right hand while walking. I admit that I did not feel comfortable with the lead between my forefinger and middle finger while holding the handle and it was noticeable that I was not holding the handle correctly ─ this was proving a problem. I tried holding the handle and lead a different way and although it was an improvement, it was not really satisfactory; however it was eventually time to return to the hotel for lunch.

 We arrived late for lunch to find Simon and Kevin talking to the Fundraising Representative of Guide Dogs. While Simon and Kevin went off with the instructor, I had an interesting conversation with the Fundraising Representative. Following lunch, I did some obedience work with Ishka.

Later in the afternoon, the instructor asked me if I wanted to go out again and my answer was a definite ‘yes’. It was essential to sort out my difficulties with the harness and lead. The instructor showed me a different way to hold the handle with the lead and all of a sudden the problems were quickly solved ─ it was more comfortable and much easier for me to transfer the lead  from the handle on the harness to my right hand by using this new method.

By holding the handle, the guide dog owner receives tactile information letting them know what the guide dog is doing and if necessary the owner can then correct the dog with the lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment