Monday 7 November 2011

Mary Hare Grammar School


The Mary Hare Grammar School was founded 1st January 1946 at Dene Hollow in Burgess Hill, Sussex and opened on 30th April 1946 with forty-seven pupils. In 1949, the school moved to Arlington Manor, a Georgean mansion standing in an estate of woodland and parkland and situated about three miles north of Newbury. The school drive was lined with rhododendron bushes and in front of Arlington Manor there was always a wonderful display of daffodils among the evergreen in early spring. The manor always looked splendid in the magnificent surroundings. The school was officially opened by Princess Margaret on 19 July 1950; this was obviously a memorable occasion for the Mary Hare Grammar School.

I can remember vividly the day when I walked through the main oak door of Arlington Manor as a first year pupil, I found myself in a large oak-panelled hall, on the left was a grand piano and on the right was a magnificent wooden staircase that dominated the hall but before me was a half- portrait of a lady in green. It was of Miss Mary Hare who was responsible for giving deaf children the opportunity to have the best education that they could possibly have. Later, I was to learn that green was Miss Mary Hare’s favourite colour hence why the school uniform was green. I find it hard to believe that I had music lessons playing on the grand piano in the hall and I enjoyed the evenings when some of the pupils stand around the piano singing songs while one of the pupils or teachers played the piano. Mr R Askew was the headmaster of the school.
I have noticed that there have been an increased number of people visiting the posting containing photos that I took while a pupil at the Mary Hare. I was at the Mary Hare from 1952 to 1959 so if any of the visitors to this site are old pupils of the Mary Hare, I would be delighted to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi mum. I always loved the stories that you would tell us about The Mary Hare. I hope that the children who are there now get the fun that you had. This school was the turning point in your life and I hope that it has been for all the students there. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What lovely memories you have written about - I like the one of the piano in the oak panelled hall and the pupils and teachers singing songs around it. Miss Mary Hare sounds like she was an inspirational lady:)

    ReplyDelete