Monday 23 July 2012

Fifth day


After doing our morning chores regarding the dogs we met our instructor at the van and Simon and I including our two guide dogs, Ascot and Ishka headed out for a training session at the Nottinghamshire Kennels. After arriving at our destination, it was suggested that I went first while Simon remained at the van to groom Ascot.

Our instructor had set up a course that had many obstacles en-route; it looked very interesting! There were lots of cones and other obstructions blocking our way but not completely. We walked to the other end and then Ishka and I tackled the course; we did it about three times in all. Eventually, we returned to the van while Simon and his guide dog, Ascot had their session. I groomed Ishka using the platform at the back of the van.

We returned to the hotel for a light lunch which was followed by a meeting with our District Client Rep who explained that if we had any problems she was the one that we should contact so that she could sort it out for us. It was a very interesting meeting and being a guide dog owner was able to tell us some funny stories!

For the afternoon session, Simon and I went with the instructor to a small area where wheelie bins were littered all over the pavements! Simon went first and it was not long before he came back. I was looking forward to this exercise as this was obviously the follow up to the obstacle course that we did that morning. Ishka and I started well but it was not long before I walked into a wheelie bin and I grabbed hold of it. The instructor told me that I should have let the wheelie bin go over but I replied “No way, I am not going to end up putting the rubbish back in the bin”. The real reason why I walked into the bin was because I did not follow Ishka when she moved out towards the kerb however the instructor and I had a good laugh about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment