Sunday 13 November 2011

Table tennis

I have always been very keen on sporting activities such as table-tennis, rounders, tennis, badminton, hockey, netball and cricket. When I was about sixteen, I went on holiday to Butlins in North Wales and on my first day there wandered into a hall where people were playing table-tennis. I was watching a game when one of the players came over and asked me if I wanted to play a game so off I went to play. I told her my name but did not catch what she said her name was because of the background noise, however we played a game and I really enjoyed it and she told me that if I wanted to play again to come to the hall the next morning….I went every day!

I sat down to watch the other players and after a while, a spectator sitting next to me asked which one was Diane Rowe. I looked at him and told him that I did not know, I knew who Diane Rowe was but what would she be doing here? Later, I got up to leave and the player that I had been playing against called out saying “See you tomorrow, Jean”. The spectator who was sitting next to me turned towards me and said” I thought that you did not know which one was Diane Rowe”.  I felt so silly but elated that I had been playing table-tennis with Diane Rowe who along with her twin sister was the World Ladies Double Champions in 1951.

1 comment:

  1. And I know, mum, that she taught you well. Remember when we were on holiday and you beat me. I still want to know how you managed that one. lol

    ReplyDelete