Friday 18 February 2011

Guide Dog

I decided to apply for some mobility help as I felt that there was a need for a change which was to gain some independent and dignity. I asked my husband Ronald and daughters what their thoughts were regarding the possibility of applying for a guide dog and they were delighted with the suggestion.  I got in touch with the "Guide dogs Association for the Blind" and after several meetings with their representatives, found that yes, a guide dog was an option. At first, it was suggested that I had some training with the long cane but I refused without any hesitation with that option, it really did not appeal to me but later I changed my mind and started my training about a month later. I knew that I should be more independent and less dependent on other people for help but to go out without having to wait for someone to come along when available was very nice.  I have been very lucky to have a friend who often went into town shopping with me.
About two months into my training, I fell down the stairs at our home and I certainly would not recommend that anyone should try it for I was in pain for months and lost a lot of missed mobility training. I really do not know why I fell, did I miss a step or did I misjudge the stairs, I really do not know. I asked my elder daughter to put a message on the private family website for me and this is what she put:
“Just wanted to let everyone know that, although she will be fine, we have just spent the day at A & E with Mum. This morning Mum decided to try for a career change as a stunt woman. She has fallen down the stairs at home - full length from top to bottom, doing a somersault on the way down. She knew she had hurt her back so stayed very still until the ambulance arrived to take her to hospital. She has been incredibly lucky and not broken anything, although she is incredibly sore and bruised. She was looked after very well and fitted with a neck brace, until she was x-rayed. Unfortunately she enjoyed it in A & E so much that when they discharged her and she was leaving she promptly fainted so had to be re-admitted for a couple of hours until she felt she was ready to go home. She is back at home this evening and Dad is looking after her. Joking apart, it could have been a lot worse if she had not acted on instinct during the fall and stayed still until the ambulance arrived - Mum asked me to let you all know. Get well soon Mum XX “
It was several months before I resumed my mobility training and was eager to get on with it. I started on my long cane training but first I did a refresher’s course which was to prove very useful and did help to improve my confidence, then it was the turn of the long cane. Will talk about this next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment