Thursday 9 December 2010

What is Usher's Syndrome?

Usher's Syndrome is a genetic condition and the main symptons are deafness and sight loss. In my case, it is believed that I have been hearing impaired since birth and the sight loss that is due to retinitis pigmentosa developed during my teens. It is hereditary which means that it can be passed down through the family and for someone to have Usher's Syndrome both parents must be carriers of the affected gene or have the same type of Usher's Syndrome: there are three types. It is a rare disease and very little is known about it. 

1 comment:

  1. You must have found your life one big milestone after another mum. It's fantastic reading your stories. I am really looking forward to the next one. You never gave up on having a happy life even with the problems that you faced everyday. I am and will always be honoured that you are my mum. xxx

    ReplyDelete